Monday, March 28, 2011

six months and still strong...kinda

Contributor: Angela

It's been a little over six months since I moved here to Seattle. I'm a transplant from Happy Valley, Utah (ie Provo). Like many graduate students, I had shining hopes of finding my dreams in the Emerald City. I can only speak for myself, but it's been less than dreamy.
Who knew how hard it would be to move to a new place? No wait. Who knew how hard graduate school would really be? I feel like it's a mission. You know it's gonna be hard, but you don't know how hard until you're on one.

Even though I'm in my mid-twenties, I still have this yearning to belong somewhere and to be a part of something. It's been half a year, and I find myself still searching. Sometimes I want to give up, and just isolate myself. It's easy to do that here in Seattle. I find people are independent in this unique "Seattle-ite" way. You know what I mean by that? Anyways, though it seems simple to mainstream myself to soloing it out here, shying from conjugal laughter and merriment, something won't let me completely hide myself.

I need people in my life. People who encourage me, who ask me how I am (and actually are waiting for an answer). I need that hug and definitely that smile. I need someone to make me laugh and remind me that I'm helpful.

I don't think I'm alone in this feeling. I decided that I needed to stop waiting for people to reach out to me. Surprisingly, when I reached out, I found that many have echoed a similar sentiment of loneliness. Especially for so many who are trying to find their niche out here. It surprises me as I discover how many incredible people there are out here. Why are we hiding from each other? So let's make one together. Let's be there for each other.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Angela! I'm really glad you moved to Seattle!

    ReplyDelete