Friday, April 15, 2011

Parables of Jesus Institute Class



by Carole Stoddard


On Wednesday, I was in the Parables of Jesus class and we discussed John 10:1-42. Something that I always think of when I am at the institute is the fact that I always feel the spirit. In this lesson, we went in depth with what we thought were the important items in the verses. These include the shepherd, the sheep, the thief/robber, strangers, pasture, sheepfold and the hireling. Brother Knowles talked about the sheepfold being the pre-mortal existence. From the chapter, I understood that it was about how Jesus would lead his sheep, and that he put down his life for us in the atonement, like the good shepherd. I had never thought of it as he literally led us out to pasture so that we could learn and grow. It was something that I knew, but hadn't thought about it. Going to classes isn't so much the learning about the scriptures, it's about the personal revelation that I receive in the class.

Brother Knowles had us sing Hymn 221 "Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd." In verse 4 it says "Make us thy true under-shepherds; Give us a love that is deep. Send us out into the dessert, Seeking thy wandering sheep." In the allegory in John 10, the hireling is mentioned. The hireling cares not for the sheep, s/he is only in it for gain. We are supposed to be true under-shepherds, caring for the sheep and searching for them. We are all called to love our fellow brothers and sisters and that class reminded me of that. I'm going to try to be a better under-shepherd in my family, in my calling and in my life. I hope that those of you who read this will decide to do so with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment